Nothing beats outdoor cooking in the summer, especially when you have a BBQ gas grill. It’s fast, easy, and delicious. Gas grills let you enjoy the natural flavor of your food without the hassle of charcoal. You can also adjust the heat to cook your food just as you like it. Whether you want to grill juicy burgers, tender fish, or even a whole chicken on a rotisserie, the best outdoor gas grills of 2023 can handle it all.
How to Choose a Gas Grill
Choosing a BBQ gas grill can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. By considering a few key factors, you can find the perfect grill for your needs and budget.
Budget: The first thing to consider is your budget. Gas grills can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It’s important to set a budget before you start shopping so that you don’t overspend.
Fuel: The next thing to consider is the type of fuel you want to use. Gas grills can be powered by propane or natural gas. Propane grills are more portable and easier to set up, but they require refilling the gas tanks. Natural gas grills are more convenient and cost-effective in the long run, but they require a natural gas line and a fixed location.
Size: The size of the grill you need will depend on how often you grill and how many people you typically cook for. If you only grill occasionally and for a small group, a smaller grill will suffice. However, if you grill often and for large groups, you’ll need a larger grill.
Features: Gas grills come with a variety of features, such as side burners, rotisseries, and thermometers. Decide which features are important to you and make sure to choose a grill that has them.
Materials: Gas grills are made from a variety of materials, such as stainless steel and cast aluminum. Stainless steel is more durable and resistant to rust, but it’s also more expensive. Cast aluminum is less expensive, but it’s not as durable.
What Features Should I Look for in a Gas Grill?
There are many features to consider when choosing a gas grill, but some of the most important include:
Burners: The number and size of burners will determine how much food you can cook at once and how evenly it cooks.
Grates: The type of grates will affect the flavor of your food. Cast iron grates hold heat well and sear food nicely, while porcelain-coated grates are easier to clean.
Cooking surface area: The size of the cooking surface will determine how much food you can cook at once.
Side burners: Side burners are great for cooking side dishes, like grilled vegetables or sauces.
Rotisserie: A rotisserie is a great way to cook whole chickens or turkeys.
Thermometer: A built-in thermometer will help you cook your food to the perfect temperature.
Warranty: A good warranty will protect you if something goes wrong with your grill.
Our Favorite Gas Grills of 2023
1. Weber Genesis II E-335 Gas Grill
The Weber Genesis II E-335 Gas Grill is a great gas grill for anyone who wants a high-quality grill that is easy to use and clean. It has three burners that provide 36,000 BTU of cooking power, and it comes with a variety of features that make it easy to use and clean, such as a side burner, warming rack, and porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates.
One of the best things about the Weber Genesis II E-335 Gas Grill is its cooking performance. The burners are evenly distributed, so you can cook food evenly on all sides. The porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates hold heat well, so you can sear meat to perfection. And the side burner is great for boiling water or simmering sauces.
Another great thing about the Weber Genesis II E-335 Gas Grill is its ease of use. The burners are easy to light, and the temperature is easy to control. The grates are also easy to clean, thanks to the porcelain enamel coating.
Overall, the Weber Genesis II E-335 Gas Grill is a great gas grill that is perfect for anyone who wants a high-quality grill that is easy to use and clean. It is a bit more expensive than some other gas grills, but it is worth the investment.
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Weber Genesis II E-335:
- Large cooking area of 513 sq. in. accommodates up to 25 burgers
- Even and consistent heat provided by three stainless steel burners
- The sear station is included for achieving perfect sear marks at high heat
- Side burner available for preparing sauces, sides, or simmering
- Infinity ignition system guarantees reliable start-up every time
- A grease management system reduces flare-ups and simplifies cleaning
- Built-in thermometer monitors temperature inside the grill
- Foldable side table with hooks for utensils and accessories included
- Compatibility with the iGrill 3 app-connected thermometer allows for monitoring food temperature from a smartphone
- The 10-year warranty covers all parts
- Comes at a higher price point compared to other gas grills in its category
- The heavy and bulky design makes it difficult to move or store
- Lacks a rotisserie burner or griddle, which may not suit the preferences of some users
- Open cart design does not include a cabinet for storage
2. Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill
The Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill is a high-quality, user-friendly, and easy-to-clean gas grill that comes at a more affordable price point than our first pick. It has three burners that deliver 30,000 BTU of heat, and it offers many features that enhance your grilling experiences, such as a warming rack, a side burner, and porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates.
The Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill cooks food very well. The burners are spaced evenly, so you can get consistent results on all parts of the grill. The porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates retain heat well, so you can get a nice sear on your meat. And the side burner is handy for boiling water or making sauces.
The Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill is also very user-friendly. The burners are easy to ignite, and the temperature is easy to adjust. The grates are also easy to clean, thanks to the porcelain enamel coating.
To sum up, the Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill is a great gas grill that is perfect for anyone who wants a quality grill that is easy to use and clean. It is similar to our top pick on this list but smaller and more affordable.
- Three burners with 30,000 BTU cooking power for quick heating and even cooking
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates that are durable, easy to maintain, and retain heat well for meat searing
- Side burner suitable for boiling water, simmering sauces, or cooking sides
- Warming rack for keeping food warm or toasting buns
- The infinity ignition system for reliable start-up every time
- Grease management system with a removable tray for reduced flare-ups and easier cleaning
- Built-in thermometer for monitoring grill temperature
- Foldable side table with hooks for utensils and accessories
- Compatibility with the iGrill 3 app-connected thermometer for monitoring food temperature from a smartphone
- 10-year warranty covering all parts
- Bit more expensive than some other gas grills.
- Not as portable as some other gas grills.
- Does not have as many features as some other gas grills, such as a rotisserie or side smoker.
- The side burner is not very large.
- The grates can be a bit difficult to clean.
3. Char-Broil Performance Series 4-Burner Gas Grill
The Char-Broil 463331422 Performance Amplifire 4-Burner Cart Style Liquid Propane Gas Grill is a reliable and versatile grill that features Amplifire infrared cooking technology. This technology provides even heat and prevents flare-ups, resulting in perfectly cooked food every time. The grill has a large 435-square-inches of primary cooking space, which can accommodate a crowd. It also has a side burner and the Chef’s Delite tray, which allow for cooking various foods, from sides to desserts.
If you want a grill that can do it all, look no further than the Char-Broil Performance Amplifire 4-Burner Cart Style Liquid Propane Gas Grill. This grill is reliable and versatile, with Amplifire infrared cooking technology that gives you even heat and no flare-ups. You can cook your food to perfection every time, whether it’s burgers, steaks, chicken, or veggies. The grill has a huge 435-square-inches of primary cooking space, enough for a big party. It also has a side burner and the Chef’s Delite tray, which let you cook anything from sides to desserts.
- Amplifire infrared cooking technology provides even heat and prevents flare-ups
- 435-square-inches of primary cooking space
- Side burner and Chef’s Delite tray included
- Easy to assemble
- Electronic ignition
- Gear Trax accessories compatible
- The Amplifire cooking grates do not allow enough room for fat to drain, which may cause flare-ups or messy cleaning.
- The lid feels rickety and not very durable, and it may chip or flake off the enamel coating.
4. Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 Propane Gas Grill
The Napoleon P500RSIBPSS-3 Prestige 500 RSIB Propane Gas Grill is a high-end grill that offers a wide range of features and benefits. It is made with high-quality materials, including stainless steel and cast iron, and it is built to last. The grill has four main burners, an infrared rear burner, and a side burner, so you can cook a variety of foods. It also has a warming rack, so you can keep your food warm while you finish cooking other items.
The Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB Propane Gas Grill is easy to use and clean. The burners are easy to light, and the grill grates are removable for easy cleaning. The grill also has a built-in grease management system, so you can keep your grill clean and free of grease.
If you’re looking for a top-notch grill that comes packed with a plethora of features and advantages, then the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB Propane Gas Grill is an excellent option. This grill is ideal for cooking up delicious burgers, steaks, chicken, fish, and various other dishes. Additionally, it’s a perfect choice for hosting gatherings since it can effortlessly cater to a large crowd.
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Napoleon P500RSIBPSS-3 Prestige 500 RSIB Propane Gas Grill:
- Four main burners with 48,000 BTU input, rear infrared burner for rotisserie, and side burner for searing
- Large cooking area: 500 sq in for main grilling, 260 sq in for warming rack, and 140 sq in for side burner
- Stainless steel sear plates and cooking grids for even heat, no flare-ups, and easy cleaning
- Rotisserie kit for spit-roasting with rear infrared burner
- JETFIRE ignition system for quick, reliable lighting and SafetyGlow feature for gas-on indication
- At $1,599, it’s the most expensive on the entire list, which could be out of reach for many people’s budgets.
- Assembly could be challenging, and the instructions may not be clear enough
- Small grease tray that fills up quickly and may cause flare-ups
5. Best Budget Pick: Expert Grill 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill
The Expert Grill 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill is a budget-friendly ($197) option, featuring four stainless steel burners that distribute heat evenly across its cooking area of 619 square inches, allowing cooking for a large group. The grill is also equipped with a side burner and warming rack for versatile cooking options.
According to customer reviews, the grill has been observed to cook food evenly and quickly, and the side burner and warming rack are considered convenient. The removable grill grates and easily accessible grease tray make cleaning the grill a breeze.
- A budget-friendly and dependable option
- Four stainless steel burners for even heat distribution
- Large cooking area of 619 square inches
- Side burner and warming rack for versatile cooking
- Easy to clean with removable grill grates and an accessible grease tray
- The ignition system is of inferior quality and may malfunction or stop functioning entirely over time, necessitating manual lighting.
- It has a very basic setup, lacking in comparison to other gas grills with a wider range of features. This might leave some wanting a more comprehensive setup.
Commonly Asked Questions
Question: What brand of gas grill is the best?
Weber, Fuego, and Char-Broil usually make the top of “best of” lists year after year, but there are many good brands on the market. Rather than only considering the name, make sure you look at such details as a warranty, BTUs, and customer reviews. This will give you more insight into what your best option will be.
How much should I spend on a gas grill?
Gas grills can range anywhere from $50 up to $3,000 and beyond. The brand, BTUs, and special features, such as a rotisserie, will impact how much you pay. Many reputable brands have a solid selection of propane gas grills under $500. For some people, getting a grill that comes with everything included is preferable, but many people like to start with a simpler option and expand from there. Features like rotisseries and BBQ griddle plates can be added on later as you see fit.
Why is a gas grill better than charcoal?
When deciding on a gas grill versus a charcoal grill, it comes down to personal preference. Gas grills are known for being cleaner and giving you more precise cooking temperatures. Some people prefer the flavor charcoal imparts, while others like the “clean” flavor that propane delivers. Once you’ve purchased the tank, a propane BBQ grill is ready to go. Charcoal requires more supplies and can be harder to start for the novice griller.
What size gas grill do I need?
To determine what size grill you need, consider a few things. Where you will be cooking with the grill is a primary concern. If you want to take the grill with you for outdoor activities, you’ll need to make sure the model is built for portability. How you will store the grill in the off-season is another factor. If you’d like to feed a crowd or meal prep for the week, a larger grill makes sense. A 300-500 square inch grill is enough for 4-5 people, but if you plan to do a lot of entertaining, a 600 square inch grill is even better. However, bigger isn’t always better. A larger grill uses more fuel and takes up more space, and who needs that? If you know you’ll only be making smaller amounts of food at a time, a compact option will be more efficient and easier to use.
Why you should trust Ideaing?
Since 2013, our team has been providing truly objective insight into our reviews and recommendations. Our panel of product experts spends many hours researching, analyzing, and testing products. After our extensive research on BBQ outdoor kitchen islands, here are our best picks for most people.
Conclusion on Gas Grills
Gas grills are a great way to enjoy outdoor cooking with convenience and versatility. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly, mid-range, or high-end grill, there is a gas grill that can suit your needs and preferences. In this article, we have reviewed the best 5 gas grills of 2023 based on their features, performance, durability, and customer feedback. We hope that this article has helped you narrow down your choices and find the best gas grill for your backyard. Happy grilling!
Other articles you might like: