HP (Hewlett-Packard) is world-renowned for their technological prowess, especially when it comes to their laptops. Their range includes the Pavilion range of accessible business computers and even goes up to the Omen series for professional gaming on the move. Throughout their range, you can find a laptop perfectly suited for you – whether you’re starting college soon, or just started working from home and need some more power, HP is the company for you.
All of the HP laptops in our review come with a plethora of included software and money-saving discounts, such as McAfee LiveSafe Security Software, to keep you protected while browsing and downloading. Also, for new customers, you can enjoy a complimentary trial of Microsoft Office Suite for all your word-processing needs.
Also, these HP laptops are well known for their build-quality and everyday power, but with so many great options in their lineup, it can be daunting searching for the best computer by yourself. Don’t worry; we’ve got you – whether you’re looking for the attractive designs of the HP Envy series, or the ultra-premium quality of the HP Spectre series you’ll find it all in this list.
Plus, check out our review of the Xebec Portable Multi Display, which gives you two additional displays for your laptop.
How much do HP Laptops cost?
Fortunately, HP has designed its range of computers to appeal to everyone. That means there is a laptop for anyone, and at different price points. You should expect to spend around $300-400 for a base model, and up to $1200 for the most expensive, premium laptops. Check out our buyers’ guide for more details.
Why you should trust Ideaing?
Since 2013, our team at Ideaing holds an extensive background in technology, from electrical engineering to product managers at Fortune 500 companies. We pride ourselves in providing truly objective incite into our reviews and recommendations. Our expert panel of product experts spend thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products. After our extensive research on over a dozen of the top HP laptops on the market, here are our 9 best picks for most people.
The Best HP Laptops: Our Review
Check out our review of the best HP Laptops on the market right now and which will best fit your needs, workflow, and price range.
1. HP Pavilion Laptop 15z touch: Best for Work
Many Windows laptops tend to have a plastic enclosure, but the HP Pavilion 15z touch has an all-metal finish for that polished, solid look – ready for anything. Moreover, the keyboard even matches the color of the outside, giving it a seamless look inside and out.
With the integrated AMD graphics processor, not only will you be working all day long (with the super long battery), but you can even edit some photos for that powerpoint. You can even chat with friends and family with the included HD IR webcam with dual microphone layout for crisp video and audio.
Why You Should Get It
This laptop has some excellent customization and expression options, available in four smart and stylish colors – ideal for work or college. Plus, when you kick back and relax at home, you can enjoy superior audio from the integrated B&O Play speakers for rich and authentic audio – whether you’re jamming to music or watching Netflix.
- Up to 7.5 hours
- AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with 2.1GHz speed across 4 cores
- Radeon Vega 8 GPU for smooth graphics
- WLED 15.6” display size with touch screen controls
- 16GB of memory and storage from 256GB of SSD
- Support for fast charging – 50% in only 45 minutes
- Loud fan noise when laptop under load
2. HP Pavilion Laptop 15t: Excellent for Productivity
Multitasking has never been so easy with the super powerful Intel Core i7 processor, making easy work of your own work. Sometimes you’ll wonder whether this laptop is actually doing the work for you – don’t worry, it’ll be our secret.
Additionally, you can use either the innovative touchscreen or precise trackpad for versatile controls. Multi-touch gesture support is provided as standard, giving you scrolling with two fingers, and precision pointing and touch input.
Why You Should Get It
If you’re looking to get a little more out of your laptop than just word-processing and some casual web browsing, the 15t has some major enhancements to help you no matter what. With a processor and graphics card capable of some of the most complex tasks you can throw at it, you’ll be hard pressed to fault this laptop.
- Up to 9.5 hours
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU with 2.1GHz across 4 cores
- Intel UHD Graphics 620 (upgradable to NVIDIA GeForce MX250)
- FHD 15.6” display with IPS BrightView technology
- 16GB of high-speed memory with onboard storage of 512GB of SSD
- Premium Bang & Olufsen dual speakers tuned with HP Audio Boost
- Keyboard keys can be difficult to see on the Silver finish
3. HP Pavilion x360 15t 2-in-1 Touch Laptop: Best for Portability and Price
This ultra-reliable laptop-cum-tablet setup will keep up with you no matter what. It’s got a lightning-fast 10th Gen Intel processor to handle more demanding tasks while keeping battery performance at the top. All these features are wrapped inside a stunning hourglass shape with the innovative 360º hinge at the back.
Why You Should Get It
Sometimes our workflow requires a tablet, and other times it demands a laptop or desktop setup. The trouble is, you’re usually stuck with having to shell out for two different devices, and that starts to get really expensive. Great news is, with this HP Pavilion x360 2-in-1 Touch Laptop, you can enjoy the performance of a high-end laptop and the functionality of table and enjoy the best of both worlds.
With a simple 360º flip of the display, you can use this HP as a tablet, and with the included HP Active Pen, you can start drawing and annotating documents and PDFs. It’s a true game changer and will save you money in the long run while giving you increase versatility and features.
- 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU with 1.8GHz across 4 cores
- Intel UHD Graphics process (upgradeable to AMD Radeon 535)
- 15.6” FHD, IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit display with multitouch
- 16GB of memory (across two slots) with 512 GB PCIe SSD storage
- Windows Precision Trackpad support
- Includes HP Active Pen (stylus) – great for the built-in tablet mode
- Initial setup can be difficult
4. HP 15z Laptop: Best for Price
This fun HP laptop is available in a super-smart jet back colorway, in addition to three other options for great personal expression. On top of that, it’s packed full of different ports and connection options – ideal if you need to print at home, or just connect your camera’s SD memory card after a vacation.
This laptop really gets down to the most important components, doing away with expensive and unnecessary features to ensure that your workflow is prioritized.
Why You Should Get It
HP designed this 15z Laptop to keep going, with the AMD processor and graphics card, if you need to push your laptop further – this one will keep up with you. Boasting a battery runtime of around 9 hours, you can easily take it with you to the coffee shop and work on your résumé or even edit some videos for your best friend’s wedding – I mean, it’s the least you could do.
- Up to 9 hours
- AMD A9-9425 Dual-Core CPU with super speeds of 3.1GHz
- Radeon R5 Graphics processor for reliable performance
- 15.6” HD BrightView display
- 8GB memory with 128GB of SSD onboard storage
- Dual stereo speakers for crisp playback
- Integrated webcam with Digital Microphones
- Some issues with speed when using CPU-intensive programs
5. HP Envy 13t Laptop: Excellent for Portability
The first thing you notice with this HP Envy 13t Laptop is the incredible display. It has a 3-way micro-edge display, meaning your content takes priority, almost spilling out of the display. Also, your content looks amazing on this gorgeous display, and if you’re partial to some shows on Hulu (and let’s face it, who isn’t), the quad HP speakers masterfully tuned by Bang & Olufsen will totally immerse you.
Plus, if you’re looking to upgrade your photos and travel videos, the upgrade option to NVIDIA GeForce MX250 GPU will let you enhance with ease – or even play some great games.
Why You Should Get It
If privacy, security, and portability are your main requirements from a laptop, then the HP Envy 13t Laptop already has your name on it (with your permission, of course). It includes a built-in Privacy Camera Kill Switch to physically disconnect your webcam from the computer – meaning no one can access it no matter what!
Add this to the ultra-accurate fingerprint reader right by the keyboard, and you’ll be logging in and surfing the web with confidence and security. Additionally, more security is provided by HP’s BIOS Recovery system that protects your PC from corruption meaning losing data can be a thing of the past.
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7 processor with speeds of 1.8GHz
- Intel UHD Graphics 620 with option to upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce MX250
- 13.3” FHD display with WLED blacklist technology
- 8GB of fast DDR4 memory with 256GB PCIe SSD storage
- Webcam kill switch for privacy and security
- Integrated fingerprint reader for ultra-fast and secure login
- Ultra-light, at just 2.59 lbs
- Occasional challenges with battery life runtime during prolonged use
6. HP Envy 17t Laptop: Best for Style
The HP Envy 17t Laptop comes in two different screen options: standard or with a high-quality touchscreen interface. This gives you the choice on how you want your laptop to function and what best helps your own workflow – pretty neat, right. That’s on top of the whopping 17.3-inch full-HD display with WLED backlight technology for crisp and bright images, no matter what you’re doing. It’s the largest display of all our reviewed HP laptops – so if the screen size is important to you, look no further!
Why You Should Get It
If you are looking to squeeze even more out of your laptop, and perhaps your workflow demands more than just Microsoft Office (which is included with this laptop by the way), the HP Envy 17t Laptop is ideal. It even comes with a massive 1TB of storage, and that’s of super-fast SSD meaning opening and saving files will be doing in a flash.
Also, as with the Envy 13t, the 17t Laptop comes with a comprehensive suite of of security and privacy features (including anti-corruption software and a webcam kill-switch).
- 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU with speeds of 1.8GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce MX250 (with 4GBs)
- 17.3” display FHD for high-quality viewing
- 16GB of fast memory and a huge 1TB of SSD storage
- Intel Wi-Fi 6: the next generation of gigabit wireless internet speeds
- HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone and WebCam Kill Switch
- Bang & Olufsen quad speakers with HP Audio Boost
- Keyboard keys can be difficult to see in bright light
7. HP Envy x360 15t Touch Laptop: Excellent for Travel
If you remember reading about the HP Pavilion x360 Touch Laptop, the Envy x360 15t should be familiar – but with some impressive and notable upgrades. It comes standard with NVIDIA’s GeForce MX150 graphics processor, which is a significant upgrade from the integrated Intel UHD GPU. This gives you the power to truly edit on the go – all with taking advantage of the all-day battery life.
Also, if you’re concerned about the nosey person sitting next to you on the plane checking out your spreadsheets or drawings – you can upgrade this laptop to have an integrated Privacy Screen.
Why You Should Get It
Aside from the obvious benefits of having a 2-in-1 laptop-tablet setup, the HP Envy x360 has a full-sized keyboard with an integrated numpad to boost your productivity and spreadsheet speeds. You can even kick back and use the included stylus and take full advantage of the support for Windows Ink – a super advanced app for creating beautiful drawings and annotating documents.
This is an excellent choice for anyone looking for that combined laptop-tablet experience, with the power for desktop applications and on-the-go productivity.
- Up to 9 hours 15 minutes
- 8th Gen Intel Core i5 CPU with speeds of 1.6GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 4GB of dedicated graphics
- 15.6” FHD display with IPS technology, WLED-backlit with multitouch technology
- 12GB of fast memory and 512GB of speedy storage
- HP Imagepad with multitouch gesture support
- Fingerprint reader for added security and convenience
- Some flex in the display hinge when using the touchscreen
8. HP Spectre x360 13t Touch Laptop: Best Overall
This HP Spectre x360 Laptop is built to last. The display is protected by super-strong Corning Gorilla Glass – the kind of stuff you’d only find in smartphones. It even has some of the slimmest bezels in the industry – making all of your content just pop out from the screen. It is designed to power your workday, no matter what, with the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU even the most complex tasks will seem like light work for this machine.
Why You Should Get It
That 360º hinge is quite something, and it really helps transform the ways in which you can get your work done. Plus, with the strengthened glass on the display, you can finally have peace of mind while using your tablet-laptop – ideal for traveling or when rushing to your next meeting or lecture.
HP has also boosted the security and privacy features of this laptop. Aside from the Webcam kill switch, you can work and play safely know that the included Mic Mute Key will keep your conversations private and secure – all from the tap of a button.
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5 processor
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- 13.3’’ FHD display with IPS, BrightView, and multitouch technologies
- 8GB of system memory with 512GB of fast storage
- Support for Windows Precision Touchpad for additional system gesture input
- Upgradable to a massive 2TB of internal SSD storage
- Some loud fan noises when in apex mode
9. HP Omen 15t Gaming Laptop: Best for Gaming
Gaming laptops are all about performance, and the ability to upgrade the device, so it works exactly how you want. Let’s be honest; the worst situation would be to purchase a laptop that is great at one game, but fails at another. Fortunately, the HP Omen 15t Laptop lives up to its name.
Additionally, you can customize every element of this device from the display to the GPU and CPU. You even get the option to change the keyboard for RGB 4-zone lighting. Because we all know how much gamers cannot live without their color-controlled keyboard. Furthermore, the built-in speakers even pack a punch with Omen Audio Control Support.
Why You Should Get It
If you’re looking for a portable gaming machine with more power than many tower PCs, then you’re in the right place. The internal options with the Omen 15t Gaming Laptop can easily handle complex gaming – which all look super smooth on the 240Hz display.
Furthermore, with the backing of HP, you know that this laptop will perform for college or work. Plus, if you’re looking to save a bit of money with this machine, you can pair an HDD with SSD to increase storage at a better price, without sacrificing speed.
- 9th Gen Intel Core i7 (6 cores) processor upgradable to i9 2.3GHz (8 cores)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (6GB) GPU upgradable to GeForce RTX 2080 (8GB)
- 15.6” FHD 60Hz display with anti-glare coating (optional 240Hz refresh rate)
- 16GB of system memory (or double it to 32GB)
- 512 GB SSD upgradable to 1TB SSD
- 200W Smart AC power adapter to keep your laptop running
- HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Device is a bit on the heavy side, just under 5 lbs
— HP Laptops Buyers’ Guide & FAQs —
One of the biggest considerations when purchasing a new laptop is usually price. We consider what is the best laptop we can fit within our budget – and money usually takes priority. This is precisely why, in our breakdown of the top HP Laptops, we took that to heart and found some of the very best options through the lens of value for money.
When you are looking through the list, be sure to think about what you want to get out of your laptop purchase. If it’s gaming – go for the Omen series, it’s HP’s in-house gaming laptop series with extreme power under the good. If you’re working to a budget, the Pavilion range is an excellent start. It offers some great laptops at 13 and 15 inch display models with excellent internals. Now, if you want style and power – the Envy laptops are an excellent choice – usually featuring premium audio from B&O. Finally, if you want the top of the line, with a lightweight form factor, the Spectre range is excellent.
Q: What display size do I need?
A: We’ve got an excellent range of HP laptops for you and many with 13, 15, or even 17 inches of display. I would typically recommend the 13-inch models if you’re concerned about weight and portability. The smaller display size makes it super easy to shove into your bag when you’re on the go. The 15 is a good middle ground, still portable enough for everyday use but with the luxury of additional screen real estate. The 17 inch is tricky; many backpacks support laptops up to 15 inches. I’d recommend the 17 if it is necessary for your workflow, but only if you plan to travel with it infrequently.
Q: I was looking at the x360 laptops, are they worth it?
A: The x360 series of HP Laptops (such as the Spectre, Envy and Pavilion series) is an excellent bridge between the laptop and tablet world. They are definitely worth it, and they add a significant amount of versatility to your workflow. They even let you enjoy the benefits of a tablet while suffering the web on the couch. Plus, while traveling it means you don’t have to schlep around a laptop and a tablet. Win-win.
Q: If I want to game, do I need to buy the Omen?
A: Yes, but also no. The HP Omen Gaming Laptop is specifically designed for gaming and gives you versatility for on the go functionality. Depending on the kind of gaming you want to achieve. You can sometimes get buy with one of the premium HP laptops, without going all the way to the Omen series. That said, you will likely suffer poor battery life runtime, and maybe some slow performance when gaming.